SIU Investigating Death of Man in Toronto
Case Number: 20-TCD-089
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-TCD-089
- Shortly after 10 p.m. on April 17, 2020, Toronto Police Service officers were dispatched to an apartment building at 220 Victoria Street for an assault call.
- Officers made their way to an apartment unit on the 12th floor and forced the door open. They immediately saw flames inside and attempts were made to communicate with a 32-year-old man who lived in the unit.
- Toronto Fire Services attended the scene. They entered the unit, located the man and brought him out.
- The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342