Update: Further Details Regarding SIU Death Investigation in Toronto
Case Number: 20-TCD-089
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-TCD-089
- Shortly after 8 p.m. on April 17, 2020, Toronto Police Service officers were dispatched to an apartment building at 220 Victoria Street for an assault call.
- Officers made their way to an apartment unit on the 12th floor and, from outside of the unit, attempted to communicate with the 32-year-old man who lived in the apartment.
- Circumstances developed resulting in police contacting Toronto Fire Services (TFS).
- Upon their arrival, TFS entered the apartment and saw flames and smoke. They located the man and brought him out.
- The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342