SIU Investigating Circumstances Surrounding Fatal Brampton Collision
Case Number: 20-OVD-142
- Around noon on June 18, 2020, a Peel Regional Police officer was traveling westbound on Countryside Drive when he observed an Infiniti vehicle traveling eastbound.
- A short time later, in the intersection of Countryside Drive and Torbram Road, the Infiniti became involved in a collision with a van that had been traveling northbound on Torbram Road.
- Inside the van were the mother and her children. The six-year-old girl was pronounced deceased at the scene. The mother and her four-year-old daughter were pronounced deceased at the Brampton Civic Hospital. The one-year-old had also been transported to the Brampton hospital, but was then taken to the Hospital for Sick Children, where she succumbed to her injuries.
- The driver of the Infiniti was seriously injured and taken to hospital for treatment.
- As a result of the collision, two other vehicles sustained damage.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations