SIU Investigating Circumstances Surrounding Fatal Brampton Collision
Case Number: 20-OVD-142
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OVD-142
- Around noon on June 18, 2020, a Peel Regional Police officer was traveling westbound on Countryside Drive when he observed an Infiniti vehicle traveling eastbound.
- A short time later, in the intersection of Countryside Drive and Torbram Road, the Infiniti became involved in a collision with a van that had been traveling northbound on Torbram Road.
- Inside the van were the mother and her children. The six-year-old girl was pronounced deceased at the scene. The mother and her four-year-old daughter were pronounced deceased at the Brampton Civic Hospital. The one-year-old had also been transported to the Brampton hospital, but was then taken to the Hospital for Sick Children, where she succumbed to her injuries.
- The driver of the Infiniti was seriously injured and taken to hospital for treatment.
- As a result of the collision, two other vehicles sustained damage.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342