Update: SIU Investigation into Fatal Brampton Collision
Case Number: 20-OVD-142
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OVD-142
- Five investigators, three forensic investigators and one collision reconstructionist from the SIU have been assigned to the case.
- One subject officer and one witness officer – both from Peel Regional Police – have been designated.
- More than one dozen civilian witnesses have been interviewed, and video footage from various sources has been retrieved.
- At the scene, roadway evidence was collected and measurements were taken. The subject officer’s cruiser will be examined for data.
- A 20-year-old man in another vehicle was seriously injured. He remains in hospital in serious condition. As the SIU does not have consent, his name will not be released at this time.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342