Update: SIU Investigation into Peel Regional Police-Involved Shooting Nearing Completion
Case Number: 20-OFI-109
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OFI-109
- Four investigators and two forensic investigators from the SIU have been assigned to this case.
- SIU investigators completed a canvass of the area in an attempt to locate evidence and potential witnesses. Ms. Krupka and four other civilian witnesses have been interviewed.
- From PRP, six witness officers have been interviewed and the notes of two other officers have been obtained and reviewed. The subject officer provided a copy of her duty notes and was interviewed.
- The SIU is in possession of video footage.
- SIU investigators took possession of the subject officer’s firearm. This was submitted to the Centre of Forensic Sciences for analysis. In addition, information was downloaded from a conducted energy weapon that was used in the incident.
- The Unit is still awaiting some recently requested materials from PRP.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342