Update: SIU Investigation into Peel Regional Police-Involved Shooting Nearing Completion
Case Number: 20-OFI-109
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OFI-109
- Four investigators and two forensic investigators from the SIU have been assigned to this case.
- SIU investigators completed a canvass of the area in an attempt to locate evidence and potential witnesses. Ms. Krupka and four other civilian witnesses have been interviewed.
- From PRP, six witness officers have been interviewed and the notes of two other officers have been obtained and reviewed. The subject officer provided a copy of her duty notes and was interviewed.
- The SIU is in possession of video footage.
- SIU investigators took possession of the subject officer’s firearm. This was submitted to the Centre of Forensic Sciences for analysis. In addition, information was downloaded from a conducted energy weapon that was used in the incident.
- The Unit is still awaiting some recently requested materials from PRP.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342