SIU Investigating Fatal Police-Involved Shooting in Haliburton County
Case Number: 20-PFD-173
- At approximately 9:25 a.m. on July 15, 2020, the Ontario Provincial Police was notified that a 73-year-old man had assaulted individuals at a Valu-mart grocery store on Highway 35 in Minden. The man then left the grocery store in a vehicle.
- An officer observed the vehicle and commenced following it for a short period of time.
- Based on a query of the vehicle’s licence plate, officers made their way to a residence on Indian Point Road.
- Outside the residence, there was an interaction with the man and two officers discharged their firearms.
- The man was struck. He was transported to hospital where he was pronounced deceased at 11:47 a.m.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342