SIU Investigating Fatal Police-Involved Shooting in Haliburton County
Case Number: 20-PFD-173
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-PFD-173
- At approximately 9:25 a.m. on July 15, 2020, the Ontario Provincial Police was notified that a 73-year-old man had assaulted individuals at a Valu-mart grocery store on Highway 35 in Minden. The man then left the grocery store in a vehicle.
- An officer observed the vehicle and commenced following it for a short period of time.
- Based on a query of the vehicle’s licence plate, officers made their way to a residence on Indian Point Road.
- Outside the residence, there was an interaction with the man and two officers discharged their firearms.
- The man was struck. He was transported to hospital where he was pronounced deceased at 11:47 a.m.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342