July 16 Update: SIU Continues Investigation into Fatal Police-Involved Shooting in Haliburton County
Case Number: 20-PFD-173
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-PFD-173
- Four investigators and three forensic investigators from the SIU have been assigned to the case. Investigators continue to make attempts to locate the man’s next-of-kin.
- The scene was searched yesterday, and those efforts will continue today. From the scene, a semi-automatic rifle and a pistol were collected. The firearms of two police officers were also secured.
- The post-mortem will be conducted tomorrow morning.
- Four officers from the Ontario Provincial Police have been designated as witness officers. Arrangements for interviews are underway.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342