Update: SIU Continues Investigation into Police Discharge of CEW and ARWEN in Vaughan
Case Number: 20-OFI-202
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OFI-202
(18 August, 2020) ---
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding the police interaction with a 24-year-old man yesterday in Vaughan.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
• On August 17, 2020 at approximately 9:30 am, York Regional Police officers were dispatched to Misty Sugar Park in Vaughan for a man armed with a weapon.
• Police officers attended the park and located the man.
• There was an interaction and a police officer deployed a conducted energy weapon (CEW).
• The man fled into the park and uniformed police officers, along with members of the Emergency Response Unit (ERU) attended.
• There was a second interaction with the man and an ERU member discharged another CEW. An ARWEN (Anti-Riot Weapon ENfield) was also deployed.
• The man was apprehended under the Mental Health Act and transported to Mackenzie Health hospital in Richmond Hill.
• He was examined and was found to have a serious injury.
At this time three investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to the case. One police officer has been designated as a subject officer and six police officers designated as witness officers.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Lisez ce communiqué en français.
Michael Webber, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342