SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting in York Region
Case Number: 20-OFI-202
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OFI-202
- On August 17, 2020 at approximately 9:30 am, York Regional Police Service officers were dispatched to Bakersfield Park in Vaughan for a man armed with a weapon.
- Officers attended the park and located the man.
- There was an interaction and an officer deployed a conducted energy weapon.
- The man fled into the park and uniformed officers, along with members of the Emergency Response Unit (ERU) attended.
- There was a second interaction with the man and an ERU member discharged another CEW, along with an Arwen (Anti-Riot Weapon Enfield).
- The man was apprehended under the Mental Health Act and transported to Mackenzie Health in Richmond Hill.
- He was examined and was found to have a serious injury.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Michael Webber, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342