SIU Investigating After Man Falls to Death in York
Case Number: 20-TCD-207
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-TCD-207
(21 August, 2020) ---
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of a 66-year-old man this evening in York.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
• At approximately 4:30 p.m. on August 21, 2020, Toronto Police Service officers responded to an apartment building on Outlook Avenue in York, after receiving a call about a man hanging off an apartment balcony.
• Upon arrival, officers saw the man hanging from the balcony railing, of a 9th floor apartment unit.
• Officers attended a neighbouring unit, entered onto that balcony and began talking with him.
• A short time later, the man fell to the ground below.
• The man was transported to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
At this time, two investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to this incident. No officers have been designated at this time.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Lisez ce communiqué en français.
Michael Webber, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342