Update: SIU Continues Investigation of Man’s Falling Death in York
Case Number: 20-TCD-207
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-TCD-207
(22 August, 2020) ---
The province’s Special Investigations Unit continues to investigate the circumstances surrounding the falling death of a 66-year-old man yesterday in York. The man was pronounced deceased at the scene.
As of today:
• The name of the deceased is not been released at this time, as requested by the next of kin.
• The post mortem has been scheduled for Sunday, August 23, 2020 in Toronto.
• At this time four investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to this incident.
• One police officer has been designated as the subject officer and four designated as witness officers.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Lisez ce communiqué en français.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342