SIU Investigating Falling Death of Man in Newmarket
Case Number: 20-OCD-216
- At approximately 7 p.m. on August 30, 2020, an individual called 911 to report that a man was causing a disturbance at the No Frills grocery store located in the area of Yonge Street and Davis Drive.
- When York Regional Police officers arrived, the man was standing on a ledge approximately 9 metres from the ground in the parking lot area. The perimeter was contained.
- A short time later, the man fell to the ground below.
- He was transported to hospital where he was pronounced deceased.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342