SIU Investigating Death of Man in Elgin County
Case Number: 20-PCD-217
- On August 28, 2020, Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officers attended the man’s home to check on his well-being. The man was transported to hospital.
- On August 31, 2020, OPP officers returned to the man’s home to check on his well-being at the request of family members. No one responded, but officers heard the volume of music increase. The officers eventually left.
- The following day, police were asked again to check on the man’s well-being as he hadn’t shown up for work. When the man didn’t answer the door, officers forced entry into the home.
- The man was located, deceased.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342