SIU Investigating Markham Collision
Case Number: 20-TVI-282
- On the afternoon of October 24, 2020, Toronto Police Service (TPS) officers located a vehicle of interest in the area of Steeles Avenue West and Bathurst Street in Toronto.
- Officers followed the vehicle through Toronto and through Markham.
- However, the driver managed to flee through the parking lot of the Markham Stouffville Hospital.
- A short time later at approximately 5:05 p.m., the vehicle, which had been traveling westbound on Highway 7, became involved in a collision with a civilian vehicle traveling eastbound. The collision occurred in the area of Wootten Way.
- The driver of the eastbound vehicle, a 55-year-old man, was taken to hospital for treatment of a serious injury.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342