Update: SIU Releases Name of Man in Toronto Firearm Death
Case Number: 10-TFD-061
Other News Releases Related to Case 10-TFD-061
The TPS reported the following information to the SIU:
* At approximately 1:00 a.m. on Monday, April 19, officers began following a vehicle in the area of Leslie Street and Commissioners Street. Soon after, officers stopped following the vehicle.
* A short time later, the vehicle was located at the foot of Cherry Street and Commissioners Street.
* One officer was struck by the vehicle, and the driver of the vehicle was fatally shot.
* The officer was taken to St. Michael?s Hospital for treatment of minor injuries.
The postmortem for Mr. Duda will take place on Tuesday, April 20 at 9:30 a.m.
Five investigators and three forensic investigators from the SIU are investigating this incident. Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-0748 or 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342