SIU Investigates Firearm Death in Toronto
Case Number: 10-TFD-061
Other News Releases Related to Case 10-TFD-061
* At approximately 1:00 a.m. on Monday, April 19, TPS officers began following a vehicle in the area of Leslie Street and Commissioners Street. Soon after, officers stopped following the vehicle.
* A short time later, the vehicle was located at the foot of Cherry Street and Commissioners Street.
* One officer was struck by the vehicle, and the driver of the vehicle was fatally shot.
* The officer was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital for treatment of minor injuries.
Five investigators and three forensic investigators from the SIU are investigating this incident. Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-0748 or 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342