SIU Investigation into Orangeville Custody Death Continues
Case Number: 10-OCD-242
Other News Releases Related to Case 10-OCD-242
The SIU investigation to date has determined that:
- 25-year-old Adam Sprague was arrested during the evening of Wednesday November 10, 2010.
- He was taken to the Orangeville Police station and lodged in a cell.
- At 7:42 a.m. Thursday November 11, 2010, Mr. Sprague was found to be in medical distress.
- Emergency Medical Services responded to the station.
- Mr. Sprague was pronounced dead there at 8:20 a.m.
A post mortem was conducted today in Hamilton.
One officer has been designated as a subject officer and eight officers have been identified as witness officers.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-0748 or 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342