SIU Investigates Death in Hamilton
Case Number: 11-OCD-037
Other News Releases Related to Case 11-OCD-037
Mississauga (5 March, 2011) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 45-year-old Hamilton man this morning. The Hamilton Police Service (HPS) reported the following information to the SIU:
• At approximately 11:00 am on March 5, 2011, officers with the HPS responded to a domestic call to 225 ½ James Street North.
• In the process of arrest, officers became aware of injuries sustained by the male.
• Emergency Medical Services (EMS) responded and transported the male to hospital.
• He was pronounced deceased at Hamilton General Hospital.
• A female was also treated for non-life threatening injuries and released.
• The SIU has designated three subject officers and three witness officers in relation to this incident.
A postmortem is scheduled to take place on Monday March 7, 2011. Four SIU investigators and two SIU forensic investigators have been assigned to probe this incident. Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-0748 or 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342