SIU Investigating Firearm Death in Lindsay
Case Number: 11-OFD-114
Other News Releases Related to Case 11-OFD-114
Mississauga (22 June, 2011) --- The Special Investigations Unit (SIU) has dispatched an investigative team to Lindsay to investigate an incident involving the shooting death of a man.
The Kawartha Lakes police Service (KLPS) contacted the SIU at 11:50 a.m. today and reported the following:
· KLPS officers along with Peterborough Lakefield Police Service (PLPS) officers were conducting a criminal investigation at an apartment on Georgian Street in Lindsay;
· During the investigation shots were fired;
· An officer sustained gunshot injuries;
· A male who was in the apartment was fatally shot;
· The coroner has been contacted.
The SIU has assigned six investigators and four forensic investigators to probe the circumstances surrounding this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-1935 or 1-800-787-8529 extension #1957.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Frank Phillips, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342