SIU Investigating Fatal Collision in Morrisburg
Case Number: 11-PVD-152
Other News Releases Related to Case 11-PVD-152
Mississauga (31 July, 2011) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a woman involved in a collision early this morning outside Morrisburg.
The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) contacted the SIU this morning at 1:50 a.m. Sunday July 31, 2011 and reported the following:
• An OPP officer responding to a call was travelling northbound on County Road 31 near Deeks Road;
• The emergency lighting on the OPP vehicle was activated;
• The officer was passing a northbound vehicle;
• The police vehicle and the northbound vehicle collided;
• Both vehicles left the roadway and the civilian vehicle struck a pole;
• The driver of the civilian vehicle, a 52-year-old woman from Williamsburg, sustained fatal injuries; and
• Two males and one female who were passengers in the civilian vehicle sustained injuries. The males were taken to Ottawa Civic Hospital for treatment. The female was taken to hospital in Winchester.
The SIU has assigned two investigators and three forensic investigators to investigate this incident.
One officer has been designated as a subject officer and six officers have been designated as witness officers.
The name of the deceased female will not be released at this time pending notification of next of kin.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-1935 or 1-800-787-8529 extension #1935.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Frank Phillips, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342