SIU Concludes Investigation in Oakville Shooting Death
Case Number: 13-OFD-276
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-OFD-276
- At approximately 10:00 p.m. on November 17, 2013, the man sat in the driver’s seat of his Kia Amanti, in front of his parents’ residence on Oak Springs Road in Oakville.
- He called his father and told him that he had a gun and asked his parents to call the police.
- Concerned for their son, his parents called the police.
- Two officers responded to the residence. Upon their arrival they were informed that the man had left the scene and they were pointed in the direction that he had driven away.
- The officers located the man’s Kia at the intersection of Oak Springs Road and Upper Middle Road where he had pulled into the driveway of a residence on the northwest corner.
- One of the officers positioned his cruiser behind the man’s vehicle to prevent him from reversing away.
- Additional officers arriving at the scene blocked the intersection of Oak Springs Road and Upper Middle Road and the intersection of Oak Springs Road and Banbury Crescent to prevent traffic from entering the scene.
- The officers were aware that the man was reported to have a gun.
- Their guns drawn and pointed at the Kia, the officers surrounded the car from various positions of cover and tried to convince the man to surrender himself.
- An officer positioned immediately behind the man’s vehicle repeatedly ordered the man out of the vehicle using his cruiser’s loudspeaker.
- At approximately 11:10 p.m., the man exited his vehicle holding what appeared to be a black handgun in his right hand and pointed it at his head.
- He walked southward toward the officers positioned at the Oak Springs and Upper Middle Roads intersection and stopped. The officers raised their firearms and repeatedly ordered him to drop the weapon.
- The man did not comply and instead turned back to his vehicle and got into the driver’s seat.
- The officers again attempted to communicate with him.
- At about 11:45 p.m., the man sent his mother a text message indicating that he was “ready to go”.
- At about this time, officers with the HRPS Tactical Response Unit (TRU) arrived on scene and were exiting their vehicle at the northeast corner of the Oak Springs and Upper Middle Road intersection.
- Shortly thereafter, the man again exited his vehicle. With the gun in hand, he walked toward the TRU and uniform patrol officers positioned at the intersection of Upper Middle Road and Oak Springs Road.
- He did not obey the officers’ commands to stop and drop his weapon but proceeded to raise the gun in their direction.
- Five officers almost simultaneously discharged their weapons striking him in the chest, right arm and face. Officers began first aid pending the arrival of paramedics.
- The man was pronounced dead at the scene at 12:12 a.m. on November 18, 2013.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342