SIU Lays Charges against Officer in Relation to Collision in Binbrook
Case Number: 15-PVI-310
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-PVI-310
(2 March, 2017) ---
The Director of the Special Investigations Unit, Tony Loparco, has caused charges to be laid against an Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officer in relation to a December 2015 incident in Binbrook, a community in southeastern Hamilton.
The SIU investigation determined that the OPP officer was in her cruiser following a 29-year-old driver of a vehicle. At approximately 8:30 p.m., the vehicle being followed approached an intersection – which had been closed because of an accident – and collided with another vehicle carrying a 58-year-old man and a 17-year-old girl. Both of these individuals were taken to hospital. The 58-year-old driver was diagnosed with a serious injury while his passenger was treated and released.
As a result of the SIU investigation, 26-year-old OPP Constable Lauren Cheeseman is now facing the following charges under the Criminal Code:
- One count of criminal negligence causing bodily harm, contrary to section 221; and
- One count of dangerous driving causing bodily harm, contrary to section 249(3).
The officer is required to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice at 45 Main Street East in Hamilton on March 20, 2017.
The matter is now properly before the courts. In consideration of the fair trial interests of the accused, the SIU will make no further comment.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Lisez ce communiqué en français.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342