SIU Investigating Fatal Police-Involved Shooting in Malton
Case Number: 20-OFD-144
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OFD-144
Update: SIU Continues Investigation into Malton Fatal Police-Involved Shooting
July 23 Update: SIU Completes Fieldwork in Relation to Malton Fatal Police-Involved Shooting; Unit Awaiting Receipt of Additional Information
SIU Finds No Basis to Proceed with Criminal Charges in Relation to Shooting Death of Ejaz Choudry
- At approximately 5 p.m. on June 20, 2020, Peel Regional Police officers attended an apartment unit at 3425 Morningstar Drive to check on the well-being of a man.
- The man barricaded himself inside the unit, and for a period, officers were able to communicate with the man.
- Shortly after communication stopped, officers breached the door and entered the unit. An interaction occurred which included officers deploying a conducted energy weapon at the man, as well as firing plastic projectiles from an Anti Riot Weapon ENfield. When these had no effect, an officer discharged a firearm and the man was struck.
- The man was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342