July 23 Update: SIU Completes Fieldwork in Relation to Malton Fatal Police-Involved Shooting; Unit Awaiting Receipt of Additional Information
Case Number: 20-OFD-144
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OFD-144
- Six investigators and three forensic investigators from the SIU have been assigned to the case.
- The subject officer declined to be interviewed and did not submit a copy of his notes, as is his legal right. Pursuant to Ontario Regulation 267/10 of the Police Services Act, subject officers cannot be legally compelled to present themselves for an interview with the SIU and they do not have to submit their notes to the SIU.
- The nine PRP officers who were designated as witness officers have been interviewed.
- SIU investigators have collected a police-issued firearm, a conducted energy weapon and an Anti-Riot Weapon ENfield, as well as evidence associated with those weapons. A knife was also recovered from the scene. The knife and firearm were sent to the Centre of Forensic Sciences for analysis.
- A post-mortem examination was conducted on June 22, 2020, and the SIU is awaiting this report as well as the results of toxicological analysis.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342