Update: SIU Continues Investigation into Malton Fatal Police-Involved Shooting
Case Number: 20-OFD-144
- Six investigators and three forensic investigators from the SIU have been assigned to the case.
- One subject officer and nine witness officers – all from Peel Regional Police – have been designated.
- SIU investigators have completed a canvass of the area in an attempt to locate evidence and potential witnesses. Several witnesses have been interviewed, and the SIU is in possession of video footage.
- From the scene, SIU investigators collected a police-issued firearm, a conducted energy weapon and an Anti Riot Weapon ENfield, as well as evidence associated with those use of force options. A knife was also recovered from the scene.
- A post-mortem will be conducted tomorrow in Toronto.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342