Update: SIU Continues Investigation into Malton Fatal Police-Involved Shooting
Case Number: 20-OFD-144
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OFD-144
- Six investigators and three forensic investigators from the SIU have been assigned to the case.
- One subject officer and nine witness officers – all from Peel Regional Police – have been designated.
- SIU investigators have completed a canvass of the area in an attempt to locate evidence and potential witnesses. Several witnesses have been interviewed, and the SIU is in possession of video footage.
- From the scene, SIU investigators collected a police-issued firearm, a conducted energy weapon and an Anti Riot Weapon ENfield, as well as evidence associated with those use of force options. A knife was also recovered from the scene.
- A post-mortem will be conducted tomorrow in Toronto.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342