SIU Investigating Circumstances Surrounding Fatal King Township Collision
Case Number: 20-OVD-181
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OVD-181
- At approximately 7:10 a.m. on Friday July 24, 2020, a York Regional Police officer was conducting radar when he observed a vehicle traveling northbound on Keele Street at a high rate of speed.
- The officer followed the vehicle.
- A short time later, the vehicle became involved in a collision with a bicycle in the area of Keele Street and Cavell Avenue.
- The male cyclist was pronounced deceased at scene.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342