SIU Identifies Cyclist Who was Killed in King Township Collision
Case Number: 20-OVD-181
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OVD-181
- Three investigators, two forensic investigators and one collision reconstructionist have been assigned to investigate this incident.
- Of the two witness officers designated, one has been interviewed thus far and investigators are in possession of the notes of the other witness officer.
- One subject officer has been designated. He has not yet been interviewed. Pursuant to Ontario Regulation 267/10 of the Police Services Act, subject officers cannot be legally compelled to present themselves for an interview with SIU investigators and they do not have to provide their notes.
- SIU investigators canvassed the area in an attempt to locate evidence and potential witnesses. Seven civilian witnesses were located and interviewed, and video footage was obtained.
- A post-mortem was completed on Sunday in Toronto to determine cause of death.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342