SIU Investigating Death of Man in Toronto
Case Number: 20-TCD-284
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-TCD-284
- At approximately 7 a.m. on October 26, 2020, Toronto Police Service officers attended an apartment building on Bellamy Road to conduct an investigation as a result of a call made to 911.
- When officers arrived at an 8th floor apartment unit, they observed that a man had barricaded himself inside the unit. However, the officers were able to eventually make their way inside.
- The officers spoke with the man, and then apprehended him under the Mental Health Act and transported him to hospital.
- At hospital, the man went into medical distress and hospital staff made attempts to revive him. However, he was pronounced deceased at 10:15 a.m.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342