Update Regarding SIU Investigation into Death of Individual in Toronto
Case Number: 20-TCD-284
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-TCD-284
- Two officers have been designated as subject officers, and invitations have been extended to have the officers interviewed by the SIU. Pursuant to Ontario Regulation 267/10 of the Police Services Act, subject officers cannot be legally compelled to present themselves for an interview with the SIU and they do not have to submit their notes to the SIU. The SIU has not yet heard back whether the officers will agree to interviews.
- The officer who was designated as a witness officer has been interviewed.
- The post-mortem took place on October 28, 2020, in Toronto.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342