Update Regarding SIU Investigation into Death of Individual in Toronto
Case Number: 20-TCD-284
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-TCD-284
- Two officers have been designated as subject officers, and invitations have been extended to have the officers interviewed by the SIU. Pursuant to Ontario Regulation 267/10 of the Police Services Act, subject officers cannot be legally compelled to present themselves for an interview with the SIU and they do not have to submit their notes to the SIU. The SIU has not yet heard back whether the officers will agree to interviews.
- The officer who was designated as a witness officer has been interviewed.
- The post-mortem took place on October 28, 2020, in Toronto.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342