November 19, 2020 Update: SIU Investigation into Death of Woman in Toronto
Case Number: 20-TCD-284
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-TCD-284
- In the early stages of the investigation, one officer was designated as a witness officer and two were designated as subject officers. All three officers have since been interviewed.
- All materials requested by the SIU of the TPS have been received.
- The SIU is waiting for the results of toxicological analysis and the post-mortem report. The post-mortem took place on October 28, 2020, in Toronto.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations