SIU Continues Investigation into Fatal Shooting on Manitoulin Island
Case Number: 20-PFD-314
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-PFD-314
SIU Investigating Fatal Shooting on Manitoulin Island
Update: SIU Releases Identity of Man Involved in Manitoulin Island Fatal Shooting
No Grounds to Lay Charges in Relation to Manitoulin Island Shootout that Claimed the Lives of a Civilian and an OPP Officer
- On November 19, 2020, two OPP officers attended a property on Hindman Trail in Gore Bay after the property owner reported the presence of an unwanted man.
- Soon after arriving, officers located the man - who was inside a trailer - and there was an interaction.
- At approximately 11 a.m., there was an exchange of gunfire between Constable Marc Hovingh and the man, resulting in both individuals being struck.
- They were transported to hospital where both men succumbed to their injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342