No Charges in Kingston Case where Man Found to have Shot Himself
Case Number: 15-OCD-123
Other News Releases Related to Case 15-OCD-123
- Just before 9:00 a.m. on June 18, 2015, Kingston Police officers discovered the body of woman inside a home. Officers identified and began searching for a suspect in relation to what was initially deemed a suspicious death.
- Civilian witnesses reported seeing the suspect in the area of Markers Acres Park (also known as Conacher Park), near Conacher Drive and Sutherland Drive.
- Around 2:30 p.m., officers received information the man had entered a brush area west of the park’s parking lot.
- Officers arrived and, after proceeding into the brush a short distance, they spotted the man about 20 metres farther into the brush. His body was partially obscured by the long grass and surrounding bushes.
- Officers attempted to engage the man.
- The man did not respond and a few seconds later produced a handgun and shot himself in the head.
- He was transported to Kingston General Hospital, and on June 24, 2015, he was declared neurologically brain dead. A post mortem determined the gunshot wound to the head was the preliminary cause of death.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342