SIU Investigating Falling Death of Woman in Toronto
Case Number: 20-TCD-124
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-TCD-124
SIU Continues Investigation into Woman’s Death in Toronto
Update: SIU Investigation into Woman’s Fatal Fall from Toronto Balcony
June 1, 2020 Update: SIU Investigation into Woman’s Fatal Fall from Toronto Balcony
June 3, 2020 Update: SIU Investigation into Woman’s Fatal Fall from Toronto Balcony
June 10, 2020 Update: SIU Investigation into Woman’s Fatal Fall from Toronto Balcony
July 17, 2020 Update on SIU Investigation into Woman’s Fatal Fall from Toronto Balcony
No Reasonable Grounds to Criminally Charge any Toronto Police Service Officer in Connection with the Falling Death of Regis Korchinski-Paquet
- At approximately 5:15 p.m. on May 27, 2020, Toronto Police Service officers responded to an apartment building on High Park Avenue, in the area of Glenlake Avenue, for a domestic incident.
- While officers were inside an apartment unit on the 24th floor, they observed a woman on the balcony.
- A short time later, the woman fell from the balcony to the ground below.
- She was pronounced deceased at the scene.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations