Update: SIU Investigation into Woman’s Fatal Fall from Toronto Balcony
Case Number: 20-TCD-124
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-TCD-124
SIU Investigating Falling Death of Woman in Toronto
SIU Continues Investigation into Woman’s Death in Toronto
June 1, 2020 Update: SIU Investigation into Woman’s Fatal Fall from Toronto Balcony
June 3, 2020 Update: SIU Investigation into Woman’s Fatal Fall from Toronto Balcony
June 10, 2020 Update: SIU Investigation into Woman’s Fatal Fall from Toronto Balcony
July 17, 2020 Update on SIU Investigation into Woman’s Fatal Fall from Toronto Balcony
No Reasonable Grounds to Criminally Charge any Toronto Police Service Officer in Connection with the Falling Death of Regis Korchinski-Paquet
- A post-mortem was conducted yesterday in Toronto.
- Five witness officers have been designated, with four of them interviewed yesterday by SIU investigators. One subject officer has been designated. He is scheduled to speak with investigators later today.
- The scene was examined, and a canvass of the area was completed in an effort to locate witnesses and video footage.
- Investigators have spoken to several civilians who were able to shed some light on what transpired.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342