Update: SIU Continues Investigation into Man’s Falling Death in Ottawa
Case Number: 20-OCD-256
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OCD-256
- Three investigators and one forensic investigator have been assigned to this incident.
- The post-mortem occurred this morning in Ottawa.
- At this time, two Ottawa Police Service officers have been designated as witness officers. Designation of the subject officer(s) is pending.
- The relevant scene has been examined, exhibits collected and one civilian witness has been interviewed.
- The name of the deceased is not being released at this time, as requested by the next of kin.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342